Temporary Social Worker – Job Profile
The Housing & Social Inclusion Department is responsible for a housing stock of circa 2,500 units providing maintenance, estate management and support services. Galway City Council provides a wide range of Local Authority services including housing, planning, development, environmental, roads and traffic, leisure and community services.
It also provides an extensive range of accommodation options including Social housing, Traveller accommodation, Voluntary housing, Housing Assistance Payment Scheme and the Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS)/ Long Term Leasing (LTL) scheme.
A Social Worker is obliged to recognise the inherent dignity of every person irrespective of individual differences, carrying out his/her work with commitment, integrity and skill. Reporting to the Senior Social Worker, or such person as may be designated from time to time, he/she will work in co-operation with the relevant teams within the department.
The Social Workers unit of the Housing and Social Inclusion Department is the social work agency of this Local Authority, providing a generic social work service to Galway City Council tenants and prospective tenants including, members of the Traveller Community, Ethnic minorities, the Elderly, Tenant purchasers, Homeless and other families and individuals who may require such a service. Social work in the Housing Department is directed towards enhancing the personal and social functioning of an individual, family or group. Work in the Social Workers Unit involves, amongst other things, assessment/reporting, advocacy, counselling, mediation and other related therapeutic services.
- Co-ordinating the various statutory services for travellers and co-ordinating theses services with those of any voluntary organisations engaged in work on behalf of the travellers.
- Encouraging the accommodation and employment of travellers, their integration into the community and making recommendations to the Local Authority in this regard.
- Advising and assisting travellers in a general way on the care of children, diet and clothing and encouraging school attendance.
- Arranging for contacts with organisations catering for the needs of travellers requiring special assistance and assisting travellers, as necessary, in obtaining statutory Health and Welfare Services.
- To assist in the implementation of new or existing initiatives on all Travellers related matters.
- To attend meetings of the Traveller Consultative Committee and any other meetings as requested by the Chief Executive.
- To advise and make recommendations to the Local Authority on the formulation of policy regarding the accommodation of travellers throughout the City.
- To assist in the preparation and review of the statutory Traveller Accommodation Plan as required by the Chief Executive.
- Investigate and report on the applicants for tenancies of houses proved by the Local Authority.
- Assisting as required in the promotion of Social Services and co-operating with voluntary and religious bodies engaged in this work.
- To submit to the appropriate officer on general housing matters as necessary, including reports on applicants in connection with (i) tenancies, (ii) grants including grants for disabled persons grants, (iii) homelessness, (iv)assessment of housing needs.
- To assist in housing matters related to certain categories or groups eligible for housing or current tenants such as elderly and people with special needs.
- Performance of such other duties under the office as may be assigned from time to time.
- Report to the Senior Social Worker, Housing Department and/or other as may be the designated by the Director of Services, Housing Department or by the Chief Executive.
For further information, please forward your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Alan in confidence on 01 4825436
Visit www.cplhealthcare.com for more Social Worker jobs Apply for job